Nordstrom customers can now shop by text

Nordstrom has launched a new service that enables customers to make purchases by sending text messages to the sales associate or personal stylist that is serving them. The TextStyle service, as it is called, is available at all of the chain’s 116 stores, making Nordstrom, according to the company, the only U.S. retailer to offer customers the option to shop using text.

The new text shopping option follows Nordstrom’s launch of NEXT, a "secure one-to-one service" launched by the chain in 2014 that gave customers who prefer communicating via text the ability to do so with store associates.

"TextStyle is an important step forward in our continued efforts to develop ways to serve customers on their terms," said Jamie Nordstrom, president of stores, in a statement. "For customers who prefer text messaging, TextStyle is a way for our salespeople to provide a personalized styling experience and for customers to view and buy seamlessly with the convenience and simplicity of a text message, wherever and whenever they like."

Texting shopper

Customers with a NEXT account can opt-in to receive private text messages that contain a description or photo of an item while they are shopping in a Nordstrom store. If they like any of the items recommended by a salesperson, they can make a purchase by replying "buy" and using a unique code. Purchases are completed through the individual’s Nordstrom.com account and are shipped directly using the retailer’s free standard delivery.

BrainTrust

"Welcome to the 21st century! Nordstrom’s well-deserved reputation for clienteling now expands into the technology of choice for Millennials (and a lot of geezers too). Other retailers will adopt a wait-and-see stance while watching how this works, and if text shows results for Nordstrom, everyone else will have to catch up."

Cathy Hotka

Principal, Cathy Hotka & Associates

"It’s definitely worth a try. With increasingly mobile customers, Nordstrom is working to keep pace with their preferences. This will make the shopping experience easier and more personalized for shoppers. There’s no telling if this will actually increase sales, but catering to shoppers in a new way is always worthwhile."

Arie Shpanya

Founder & Executive Chairman, Wiser

Discussion Questions

Do you think that shopping via text has the potential to grow sales for Nordstrom and other retailers? How will TextStyle affect the public’s perception of Nordstrom as a service organization?

Poll

7 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Cathy Hotka
Cathy Hotka
8 years ago

Welcome to the 21st century! Nordstrom’s well-deserved reputation for clienteling now expands into the technology of choice for Millennials (and a lot of geezers too). Other retailers will adopt a wait-and-see stance while watching how this works, and if text shows results for Nordstrom, everyone else will have to catch up.

Bob Phibbs
Bob Phibbs
8 years ago

I think it is great that Nordstrom is trying so many options in their stores. That said, as for the appearance is of a personal connection to your sales person — I’ve found that maybe twice in all my years with the brand.

I’ve been in their stores that have piloted a lot of flat screen displays on their display tables and fixtures and found them incredibly distracting from the actual merchandise. I would suggest such a text service again distracts shoppers away from the merchandise toward the palm.

Shep Hyken
Shep Hyken
8 years ago

Applause to Nordstrom for their forward thinking multi-channel approach to staying connected to their customers. Who likes to text? Millennials. This is a great way for sales people to connect with their Millennial customers (and any other customers who like to text), and an even easier way for those customers to make a purchase. I like it. Looking forward to seeing how well it works.

Kai Clarke
Kai Clarke
8 years ago

Since this is limited to in-store purchasing, its impact will be minor. Perhaps the better question is, why limit this to just in-store purchasing? It would have a greater effect if the texting were available anywhere, and the consumer could determine how often they wished to receive the product information from the salesperson.

Stacey Silliman
Stacey Silliman
8 years ago

I love Nordstrom, but I seriously hope that they have quality customer service associates on board to truly assist shoppers. I’ve tried their personal stylists and mine was far from helpful. This is going to be a bust if they don’t have the right people to truly cater to their shoppers. For now, I’m happy ordering online and having UPS deliver my stuff; saves me from disappointment.

Gajendra Ratnavel
Gajendra Ratnavel
8 years ago

This is a great concept! Will work wonders for communicating with shoppers inside changing rooms. I wonder how much work load this will add to the staff and what kind of response times are expected.

Arie Shpanya
Arie Shpanya
8 years ago

It’s definitely worth a try. With increasingly mobile customers, Nordstrom is working to keep pace with their preferences. This will make the shopping experience easier and more personalized for shoppers. There’s no telling if this will actually increase sales, but catering to shoppers in a new way is always worthwhile.