AI model wearing jean jumper
Photo: Levi Strauss & Co.

Will AI-generated Models Replace Human Models In Ad Campaigns?

Levi Strauss announced plans to test customized AI-generated models with the goal of multiplying the number and diversity of models that customers can see.

The denim giant partnered on the test with LaLaLand.ai, an Amsterdam-based startup that claims to create “hyper-realistic models of every body type, age, size and skin tone.”

Currently, shoppers on Levi.com typically only see one model for each product. The AI technology, according to Levi’s, “can potentially assist us by supplementing models and unlocking a future where we can enable customers to see our products on more models that look like themselves, creating a more personal and inclusive shopping experience.”

The project supports Levi’s broader diversity, equity and inclusion objectives. “While AI will likely never fully replace human models for us, we are excited for the potential capabilities this may afford us for the consumer experience,” said Said Dr. Amy Gershkoff Bolles, global head of digital & emerging technology strategy at Levi Strauss.

Levi’s new partnership goes a step beyond its past virtual fit efforts. The denim giant last year began piloting a feature that lets consumers select their size and see an image of their chosen garment appear on a person similar to their size, height, body shape and/or skin tone. Walmart has experimented with similar virtual fitting solutions.

Beyond offering a wider range of diverse models, virtual models could cut costs by reducing the need to hire models and pay for shoots.

Canadian model and futurist Sinead Bovell said AI could also offer sustainability benefits, but argues ethical concerns arrive since modeling careers are vulnerable. She told CBC Radio host Elamin Abdelmahmoud on Commotion,”A lot of models have put their entire careers on the line to advocate for a more inclusive world. Are those gains just going to go to a coder somewhere in Silicon Valley?”

Pacsun received backlash last year for hiring star virtual influencer Lil Miquela as its spokesperson. One critic tweeted, “They could have chosen a woman in real life to be their ‘female advocate’ but instead chose a CGI personality who is probably run by a team of 10 guys.

BrainTrust

"One of the core attributes of a brand is authenticity, so what happens when the brand starts to replace its hardworking male/female models with AI generated images?"

David Spear

VP, Professional Services, Retail, NCR

"In terms of conveying a feeling, presenting a product, or even accurately rendering humans, the technology still has a long way to go."

Dion Kenney

COO, Mondofora

"AI will continue to appear in our life in every aspect including models we see in marketing. Clothing models are only the next step for a multitude of reasons."

Perry Kramer

Managing Partner, Retail Consulting Partners

Discussion Questions

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: Will AI-generated fashion models soon replace or supplement human models for online site imagery and fashion campaigns? Do you see more upsides than downsides to using AI-generated models?

Poll

27 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Mark Ryski
Noble Member
1 year ago

This is already happening and it will happen more as the technology advances — and it’s advancing quickly. I think Levi’s has it right — a combination of AI-generated and human models is likely the best mix. And while AI-generated models may turn some people off, it will give Levi’s significantly more flexibility and a range of options for models that would be difficult to do with all human models. Ultimately, I believe this will better enable customers to select sizes that fit and that should reduce returns and improve the customer experience.

Ken Morris
Trusted Member
1 year ago

The Number Twelve Looks Like You! That’s a classic Twilight Zone episode where everyone has to get plastic surgery to look perfect. Nothing against AI in general, but there’s plenty of user-generated content (UGC) for fashion and beauty brands to leverage instead of using robo-models in ads. So I’m much more in the UGC camp with this one.

Shoppers will always be influenced more by real people who look like them, showing how they use and look in products. The real deal will always be better than the artificial. Ads–whether photoshopped images, deep-fake videos, or purely AI-spawned–will always trigger a bit of defensiveness in shoppers.

Neil Saunders
Famed Member
1 year ago

AI will be used more in fashion. However AI models are a fine line. First, customers may resist it – preferring to see real people than artificial ones (if, indeed, they can tell the difference). There is already pushback over things like airbrushing, and complete AI models is the same problem writ large. There are also ethical issues: if you are using AI to generate models with different races you are not actually employing real models from those races, some of which may already be underrepresented.

Gene Detroyer
Noble Member
Reply to  Neil Saunders
1 year ago

This morning, my non-scientific, non-projectable research with my coffee shop compatriots suggested they can’t tell the difference between real and AI-generated models.

Dion Kenney
1 year ago

I just ran multiple iterations of AI-generated images. In terms of conveying a feeling, presenting a product, or even accurately rendering humans, the technology still has a long way to go.

John Lietsch
1 year ago

AI-generated fashion models are already supplementing human models online but I don’t think they will completely replace them anytime soon. In the ones I’ve seen, human models remain the main attraction with computer generated models occupying the supporting but important role of guiding and assisting customers once they’re beyond the browsing phase. As always, if used properly, AI-generated models can prove a powerful force by personalizing the digital experience to evoke a more in-store experience “online.” Unfortunately, I suspect computers will dominate this space eventually as they do now in animation but it has taken a long time for computer drawn cartoons to look like hand drawn ones and, in most cases, it’s still easy to distinguish between the two.

Bob Amster
Trusted Member
1 year ago

The AI-generated model will only look like me if it is generated in real time, every time I shop.

Perry Kramer
1 year ago

AI will continue to appear in our life in every aspect including the models we see representing products in marketing. Clothing models are only the next step for a multitude of reasons. We are already chatting and speaking to AI programs for support center calls. It will be a slow evolution and not immediately accepted by all retailers, but those looking to increase speed to market and reduce costs will be the first to get on board by blending in AI models.

David Spear
1 year ago

Most of us know that one of the core attributes of a brand is authenticity, so what happens when the brand starts to replace its hardworking male/female models with AI generated images? All for the sake of inclusivity? I’d much rather see a real human being wearing the brand’s products. This is real. This is true. This is authentic. And it’s an important part of the overall shopping experience.

Gene Detroyer
Noble Member
Reply to  David Spear
1 year ago

“What happens when the brand starts to replace its hardworking male/female models with AI-generated images?” The customer uses the AI model to show a more authentic representation of themselves in the presented apparel.

Georganne Bender
Noble Member
Reply to  David Spear
1 year ago

I agree, David. You can’t be authentic when your models are not.

Nicola Kinsella
1 year ago

Absolutely! AI is going to disrupt not only the modeling industry but the stock photography industry as well. It will take time to get it right, but being able to see an image of products on a personalized model that resembles both your physical appearance and your style has the opportunity to really impact sales.

Gene Detroyer
Noble Member
Reply to  Nicola Kinsella
1 year ago

If we all save our bodies and preferences, will we be able to merge them with the AI body to get the perfect look?

Gene Detroyer
Noble Member
1 year ago

If AI-generated models can look as real as the one in the photo in this discussion, why do we need real human models at all? (A quick, unscientific survey this morning of my coffee compatriots all identified the young lady as human.)

How often have we written about the retailers presenting their wares on models that have no resemblance to the “size, height, body shape, and/or skin tone” of the potential customer? In many instances, those human models are less characteristic of a customer than the AI-generated substitute.

It wasn’t that many years ago that there was speculation that this technology would come to fruition. In today’s discussion, I see that “down-the-road” technology really isn’t far down the road.

David Naumann
1 year ago

The advancements in AI appears to be accelerating and the technology is poised to change a lot of aspects in our lives. This example of creating visual representations of humans and ChatGPT-like applications creating interactive language conversations are borderline creepy. The possibilities will likely take away a lot of the human elements of interactions and thus eliminate jobs, which may create labor challenges different from the ones we face today.

Shep Hyken
1 year ago

I know the discussion is about online, but let’s start with the runway. I don’t see AI walking down the runway to introduce the newest and latest fashions. And as AI shows up online to promote fashion, there is a pretty good chance there will be a “likeness” to someone who is getting paid. The beauty of AI-generated fashion advertisement is the ability to change outfits without multiple photo shoots. The possibilities are only limited by our imagination.

Brandon Rael
1 year ago

The widespread fears and apprehensions of an AI-dominated, ChatGPT-driven future have been all over the headlines for the past few months. However as we all can attest, this is an evolution. When leveraged correctly, AI could blend the arts and sciences, where human intuition, creativity, and gut instincts still have a role to play in an increasingly tech-centric world.

AI-generated models may resonate and not be of any concern to some customers. However the art of storytelling, authenticity, and human elements matter when a brand promotes and advertises its products. There are ways to integrate AI capabilities by blending and enhancing with people in real life rather than going all in on AI-generated models. There will be plenty of experimentation in this space in the coming years, and it will be interesting to see what models resonate with consumers.

Rick Moss
1 year ago

I think profit margins will be the biggest influence here. Sure, the inclusivity aspect makes for good PR, but I doubt that’s principally what inspired Levi’s move. Fashion brands will save a lot of money if they replace human models, thereby allowing them to charge less (or profit more), thereby pressuring their competition to do the same. Using humans will be seen as an extravagance reserved for special campaigns. I can see that luxury brands may continue to use human models for high-visibility campaigns, but they too will I’m sure use AI if they can get away with it for their online product pages.

It’s kind of like self-checkout — consumers may say they prefer human checkers, but at a point, money talks louder.

Melissa Minkow
1 year ago

This is going to feel very unhelpful to the consumers who are determined to figure out how the item would look on a “real” body — even if the images are highly accurate. The knowledge that it’s a generated visual will be enough for shoppers to be skeptical.

Gene Detroyer
Noble Member
Reply to  Melissa Minkow
1 year ago

Melissa, aren’t the live human models that are used today the perfect measure for the apparel being shown but an imperfect relationship to the real person?

Ian Percy
1 year ago

At least a mention of the role of subtle energy might help here. Why is it that though you follow your grandmother’s recipe precisely it still doesn’t taste the same? The difference, I suggest, is the subtle energy she put into it through those hands. Computer generated art might look pretty but again, there is no spirit emanating from it. Truly valuable art is valuable because of whose energy created it. Almost everything we find appealing, attractive, persuasive and memorable is the result of subtle energy. The mechanistic option is called “artificial” for a reason. Lose soul and you lose everything.

David Spear
Reply to  Ian Percy
1 year ago

Ian,

Extremely well said. AI with bad data is artificial and, similarly, using AI-generated models – though they may look good – neuters the experience, leaving the consumer with less motivation to make a purchase.

Ian Percy
Reply to  David Spear
1 year ago

Thanks David. Further to the point we’re both making, I just read a piece about how robots are being used to replace human practioners in certain religious rituals. God must be so pleased!

Georges Mirza
1 year ago

I have seen images generated entirely by AI, which is very powerful. Incredible with faces, but still needs refinement for hands and arms. It will get there. I think, as a start, it will be used to enhance image content and quality. For example, make the model look younger or add hair… eventually, it has the potential to replace entirely. From what I have seen so far, it is very impressive. I will use it to generate the graphics needed for my blogs.

Mohammad Ahsen
1 year ago

AI based customer experience application such as machine learning, chatbots, conversational UX, personalization etc have already been adopted by fashion industry. AI-generated models’ acceptance will depend on the CTR, conversion, engagement and ultimately profit margins.

Levi’s partnership with Lalaland.ai will help the brand to create hyper-realistic models of every body type, age, size and skin tone. Although AI-generated model will bring more efficiency, scalability, speed, cost-efficiency, inclusive, personal and sustainable shopping experience for fashion brands but there are customers, who are looking for “human” experience, how the item will look on “real” body.

Mel Kleiman
1 year ago

Five words sum it up “Welcome to the New World.”

Brad Halverson
1 year ago

AI-generated content and marketing is only just getting started. There are too many good options to help create what’s needed to best express a company’s core purpose, to their specific customer base and go-to-market style.

Retailers will want to make sure the creepy-odd factor is kept to a minimum as they design and use this technology for customers. Customers can sense when something is “off” and beyond true human genuineness.