Study: Omnichannel customer experience far from seamless
New research from Accenture finds retailers must significantly enhance their mobile and in-store shopping experiences to match the way shoppers want to deal with retailers across multiple sales channels.
According to a survey of 750 U.S. consumers, 32 percent said the biggest improvement retailers need to make in the shopping experience is to enable the use of all three sales channels — physical store, online and mobile — in an integrated way. Yet a separate analysis of 32 major retailers found tablet and mobile phone users are able to start shopping on their devices and complete the cycle in-store with only 22 and 19 percent of retailers, respectively.
An even larger 39 percent of consumers said the biggest improvement retailers need to make in the customer experience is in-store. Being able to order out-of-stock items while in-store and having access to free Wi-Fi were two services they wanted most in the U.S. and globally. However, only 42 percent of 189 retailers benchmarked globally provide the option for sales staff to order out-of-stock items for shoppers and only 28 percent of stores have free Wi-Fi.
Other findings from the U.S. research:
- Nearly half (45 percent) of consumers would like to receive real-time promotions sent to their phones or tablet, yet only 28 percent of retailers currently have the capability to deliver that service.
- Thirty-nine percent of consumers would take advantage of the opportunity to earn loyalty points and save money on their purchases with their mobile device.
- Only 42 percent of shoppers found it easy to complete a purchase using a mobile device.
- Thirty-six percent said they would order out-of-stock items via their mobile phone while in-store if they had that option.
- An overwhelming majority (82 percent) of consumers expect a retailer’s prices to be the same in-store and online, a significant increase on the 69 percent in a similar survey last year. Only 34 percent of retailers had the same pricing in-store and online for more than 80 percent of the items assessed.
- While all of the retailers assessed have mobile-optimized websites, only 53 percent have optimized their websites for tablets.
- U.S. Retailers Struggling To Meet Consumer Expectations Around Mobile And In-Store Experience, Accenture Study Finds – Accenture
- How to Make Money in a Seamless World? – Accenture
In which areas will retailers have the most difficulty delivering seamless cross-channel shopping experiences? Are the greatest hurdles technical, organizational or cultural?