American Express doubles down on ‘Shop Small’
Building on the increasing popularity of Small Business Saturday, American Express is launching a new double points program, introducing a number of community events to support the day, and partnering with Shaquille O’Neal.
The four-time NBA champion, who retired in 2011 and owns a number of fast-food franchises, has been recruited to raise awareness of American Express’s new Shop Small for 2X Rewards offer via a number of comical online videos. Under the program, American Express card members earn double rewards points for purchases made at qualifying small businesses through Dec. 31.
Shop Small evolved as a way to extend the benefits of Small Business Saturday throughout the holiday season. American Express has also ramped up investments in the Saturday event, which takes place on November 26 and generated $16.2 billion in 2015. Launched in 2010, American Express claims the day has “become a national holiday alongside Black Friday and Cyber Monday.”
Among the new programs for 2016:
- Dance + Yoga Sesh with Daybreaker: Early-morning workouts and dance parties will take place in New York City, San Francisco and Chicago featuring DJs, performers and yoga/fitness, as well as food and beverages from local businesses.
- Free Uber Rides in NYC: Free UberPOOL rides (up to $20) will be offered to card members in all five boroughs with a promo code.
- Dine Small with The Infatuation: Independent restaurants in New York City, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C. and San Diego will hold events featuring local menu items to celebrate the day and encourage consumers to shop at independents year-round.
- Neighborhood Champions: More than 4,000 small business owners, individuals and community organizations have pledged to host events and activities to rally their communities on Small Business Saturday.
Said Elizabeth Rutledge, EVP, global advertising and brand management at American Express, “This year, we want all kinds of small businesses to get involved — from fitness studios, to cafés, to retail stores and restaurants — so we’ve created even more ways for Americans to participate on Small Business Saturday, whether you’re a night owl or morning person.”
- From Daybreak ’til Midnight: Shop, Dance, Ride & Dine This Small Business Saturday – American Express
- American Express Teams up with Shaquille O’Neal and Friends to Drive Card Members to Shop Small and Earn Big Rewards – American Express
- American Express Offers Big Rewards for Shopping Small This Holiday Season – Card Members Can Earn 2X Rewards for Spending at Small Businesses through December 31 – American Express
- Retailers prepare for $16.2B, not-so-little Small Business Saturday – New York Business Journal
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: What are the best ways for small retail business owners and local communities to support Small Business Saturday and the Shop Small movement? Do you see the Small Business Saturday and Shop Small gaining or losing momentum?