Tanger Outlets brings personal shopper services online
Tanger Factory Outlet Centers has launched a virtual shopping concierge service as part of its COVID-19 response. The move is seen as one of, if not, the first for the factory outlet channel.
Using the service involves three steps:
- Fill out your shopping form: Online shoppers at Tanger’s Virtual Shopper page can seek out a specific product by filling out a form listing a specific brand, item, size and color. They may also choose to browse by typing in the item they’re interested in, their preferred brand or brands and preferred size/color. Tanger writes, “This form will put you in touch with one of our shoppers whose main goal is to help you look your best.”
- Explore your favorite brands: The customer can scroll through offerings provided by the personal shopper and highlight items they want. The personal shopper then “shops in-store at Tanger Outlets on their behalf.” The personal shoppers can secure product across Tanger’s entire portfolio, not just the nearest outlet to them.
- Choose curbside pickup or have orders delivered: The online customer then chooses between curbside pickup or home delivery.
“Our Virtual Shopper program gives shoppers an insider VIP experience by connecting them with a personal Tanger associate that knows the hottest and best deals as well as new product launches offered in each store,” said Stephen Yalof, COO and president of Tanger Outlets, in a statement. “With the wellbeing of our customers being a top priority, we wanted to provide more options for those who may not be ready to visit us in-person, but still want to experience the fun and savings Tanger has to offer.”
Among others, the Independence Center in Independence, MO recently introduced a Virtual Shoppers program that appears to work similarly.
At the higher end, Gucci in early June launched a virtual shopping service allowing customers to communicate with personal shoppers via video call. Staff guide online shoppers through a 7,500 square-foot, made-up store inside a call center in Florence, Italy.
- Tanger Outlets Launches Virtual Shopper Concierge Service – Tanger Outlets
- Virtual Shopper – Independence Center
- Gucci turns to call centres to lure high-spending millennial shoppers – Financial Times
- Gucci’s new tech bet: Personalised video shopping – Vogue Business
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: Do you think Tanger Outlets’ virtual shopping concierge service will appeal to consumers both during the pandemic and after? Do you see a broad opportunity for virtual personal shoppers across channels and price points?